Friday, July 21, 2006

Have I Been a Bad, Naughty Melody?
This evening I was sitting waiting to be seen at the NHS walk-in centre with an extremely sore throat and I took my knitting with me (I was thinking that I had a strep throat it was so difficult to swallow, the glands in my neck were as big as tennis balls and I had yellowy white flecks on the very back of my tongue, but that bit is really inconsequential to the story....)

Anyway, I was knitting away on Tide after having completed the armhole shaping last night and an elderly lady wandered over to me and struck up a conversation. She stroked my knitting and complimented me on it, and proceeded to ask all about the pattern, yarn, etc and I showed the pattern to her and we talked about how I was knitting it.

I had a photocopy in my knitting bag as I copy patterns so that I don’t wreck my actual copies or books, or indeed lose them. So we discussed sizes, yarns, patterns, an all things relating to knitting and she told me the reason why she was at the medical centre with her husband. The lady was not from the local area and was on a weekend away at a steam rally. We chatted about knitting for around ten minutes until my name was called.

"Do you like the pattern?" I asked the lady as I got up from my seat
"Oh yes, it’s beautiful!" she replied
"It’s yours" I said, handing over the copy to her.

She looked stunned, thanked me profusely and offered me money for the photocopying (I declined as we have a photocopier at home and it cost next to nothing to copy, and I had intended the pattern copy to be for my own use)

So was I a naughty Melody to give the lady a copy of my pattern? Or was that my good deed for the day?

6 comments:

Spinningsue said...

The 'Law' would say naughty but I say good. You spread a little fibrey goodness and lots of good will and made someone very happy. I must be naughty too because I can't find anything wrong in that!

Melody said...

*phew* I'm glad someone agrees!! Thanks Sue!!

Debs xx

blueadt said...

I would have done the same.

Badger said...

There's a time and a place for strict copyright enforcement, and a time and a place to make old ladies happy. I think you know your right from wrong ;)

Anonymous said...

The Knitting Police would say Norty Norty..... I would have no problems with it and I would have done the same thing as you :-)

Catknit said...

I would have done the same thing, making people happy is far more important than one tiny infringement of copywrite law.
And apart from confessing on here, how is anyone going to find out it was you? would the copywrite police go back to the hospital and check records to see who could have possibly given this old lady a photocopy of a *sharp intake of breath*knitting pattern. I'm sure they have better things to do!