Saturday, August 26, 2006

Glossary of Terms

Just for Denver Jon I give you a glossary of terms from the previous posting:

Lairy - overly confident, arrogant, cheeky, loud; especially applied to youngster or adolescents

Rucksack - Could also be called a 'backpack' but a large bag wot you sling onto your back when walking in the wilds to hold all your essentials such as flask, knitting books, knitting, waterproofs, snacks, etc. But mainly for knitting purchases at large knitting exhibitions and trips to Chester, etc :)
Others are designed to carry a baby or small child, see here:

baby carriers

*NB - No longer required in the Melody household*

Fell walking - walking on the fells. Self explanatory :)

Knitterly Stuff
I had to frog 7cm worth of knitting on my Tide cardi as I could see a distinct mark where the knitting had been sitting idle for a few weeks on the needles. I thought it better to frog a few cms now than have it plagueing me for ever more. I think it was Maggie Righetti who said that mistakes in knitting are not like vintage wines - they don't get better with age.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally understand why you had to frog. I can't bare having mistakes in my knitting, even if I think no one else will notice them.

Anonymous said...

Just noticed I spelt bear the wrong way in my comment - I feel like I've been caught naked!

Here is a definition of that kind of a fell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fell

The Brontes lived a little further south here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bront%C3%AB_Country

and of course this is where wuthering traditionally happens. I don't know if wuthering goes on in the fells as well - maybe they have a different name for it.

Sorry, I am feeling in a bit of a pedantic mood today.