Thursday, August 24, 2006

Arguing over the Argos Catalogue

You can tell that it's getting towards the end of the school holidays - the boys are getting bored with each others' company and are finding it difficult to get along together without arguing or needling each other, even to the extent of arguing whose turn it is to look through the Argos catalogue. I ask you.

We have things to do over the next few days, such as visits to the dentist, collect school uniform, sewing name labels into articles of school clothing and finish off bits of work before we go back to our respective schools, so that should keep us busy and out of mischief.

Danny has his first half day at school on Wednesday next week, and I'm actually looking forward to it although I didn't think I would; it means that at last this holiday I may just have a couple of hours of peace and quiet. Bliss.

Nah then - knitting related thingos.....

A cyberfriend of mine, Jackie - I do hope I spelled her version of Jackie correctly, there are so many ways to spell it, and I always forget who has which version - bagged herself a scrummy knitting machine from a charity shop last week, and she has set it up and knitted some plain knitting already. She got the main bed, ribber, knitting shaping device, table and a lace carriage and cost just twenty quid! Twenty quid I tell you!! What a superb bargain!! Spurred on by her amazing find I decided to unearth my standard gauge knitting machine from the depths of the cupboard. We have a huge walk in cupboard that is accessed via the ‘guest' room and all sorts of stuff is stored there including all my knitting machines, so I had to move rucksacks, rucksacks that you can stuff a baby into the back of and carry around when you're fell walking, boxes of the children's paintings and school work, sleeping bags, spare duvets, packets of real life photographs taken before we had the digicam and other assorted stuff. I had a great time last night looking through all the old photos of our oldest son taken when he was born up until he was around eighteen months old; he was always smiling and so happy and full of life, now he's a lairy seven year old . Happy memories.

I'll have to give the knitting machine a good overhaul before I can use it properly again, as it looks quite oily and yuck, even though it's been stored well since the lid was last put on it. I have plans to revitalise my wardrobe of woollies with some new ones, and the machine will come in very handy for that. Some fusion knitting is on the horizon methinks. I already have a fusion knitting project in mind for this machine I just need to get the yarn out of the stash and knit a tension swatch.





One last thing, I bought these amazing precious jade stitch markers from Claire at The Claire Knit Project and they arrived the other day. Aren't they just beautiful?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the machine and I are bonding:o) Great fun...learning lots of new words wen I do it wrong and a chunk of knitting falls in my lap :o)

Melody said...

What.... you mean.... SWEARING words???
My oh my....
Bet your enunciation is perfet though *wink*
Glad to hear that you and the beast are becoming inseparable.

debs xx

Anonymous said...

Jon, you would learn a whole new vocab if you could hear me on the machine that Deb brought into my world. I never uttered the word "eejit" so regularly before.
Eejit= Scots for "someone who is being rather silly". For further references/examples of this word, listen/watch Billy Connoly tapes/videos.

Mary Beth said...

Oh what fun! Lovely to find more machine knitters. So glad you pipped up Melody, D the B

Monique said...

Lovely machine. Looks a lot like my 360K. Hmm could it be?
Monique