Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Sad Morning

I had to take the decision to have our wonderful fourteen year old Golden Reteiver to the vet this morning to be put to sleep; it's a decision that Mr Melody and I have been putting off for several weeks because we thought that maybe, just maybe, Max would improve. Max has had hip dysplasia since puppyhood and had OCD in his elbows as a pup which left him with decreased mobility in all four of his legs. He has been unable to stand to eat his breakfast this week and as I helped him out into the garden this morning, holding his back legs whilst he wheelbarrowed out on his front paws, I realised that his quality of life had gone and wasn't going to return. Unable to get up from lying down, and unable to stand for any length of time, the decision was made. Luckily the vet agreed that we had made the right decision and Max was put to sleep.

I shall miss that wonderful dog with the handsome head and the soft, floppy ears. I shall miss him a lot.

1 comment:

Terri said...

So sorry to hear about Max :-( He'll be bounding about like a puppy again I'm sure, up in doggy heaven xx