Sunday, August 19, 2007

My Wardrobe is Out of Control!!

My wardrobe is full to bursting with clothes. I have lots of pairs of shoes, boots and sandals. I also have a large yarn stash and a fairly large fabric stash.

At one time, before I had children, and I went to work in an office for a living, I sewed all my own clothes, even my suits. Just before I found I was having my eldest son, I attended an evening City and Guilds Tailoring course but only went for a term and a half as I quickly realised that I wouldn’t be able to tailor stuff to fit my ever-expanding tummy! My mum was an excellent seamstress in her day, and still prefers to tailor her own clothes as she is able to attain a custom fit.

So I am able to knit and sew my own stuff without resorting to shop-bought clothes.

I saw an interesting entry on someone’s blog over the weekend - Don't Talk, Just Knit - about the Wardrobe Refashioning blog that aims to refashion clothes to reduce the amount of money spent on new clothing and textiles, which suits my reducing, reusing and recycling ideal very nicely.

Just one last visit to M&S and I’ll join up, I promise....

3 comments:

Linda said...

I've just spent 3 hours this morning buying new clothes and then another hour when I got home throwing out stuff that I've had for about five years and have never worn! *rolls eyes*

I do feel better after having put most of my *old* wardrobe in black bags though. :0)

blog-blethers said...

What fantastic skills to have to be able to create an entire tailor-fitted wardrobe, Melody! I can just about sew a straight seam!! The quality of your own projects is often so much better than you can buy in the shops.... but I do recognise so well the pull of good old M&S!!

kathryn said...

Wardrobe refashioning sounds a great idea! Thanks for the link, Melody